Wednesday, April 17, 2013

welcome back

welcoming back TFG (the fat girl)

Today is National Eggs Benedict Day.  As a foodie and avid lover of hollandaise, I could not be more thrilled.

I love a good eggs benedict, and the key is good hollandaise.  I knew learning to make this velvety and luscious sauce would be dangerous for TFG but it had to be done.

I often talk about eating homemade eggs benedict for lunch one day and then heading to a business meeting.  Little did I know I had what I refer to as the fat girl smudge of hollandaise on my mouth for the whole meeting!  What is worth it?  Yes indeed.

Caution this is delicious

Melt one pound, four cubes of butter in a large pan.  Use a ladle to remove the top layer of milk solids (white layer).

Bring a small pot of water to a boil.  Place 6 egg yolks in a glass bowl.  Place the bowl on top of the boiling water, and constantly whisk the egg yolks.  They need to heat slowly so monitor the heat and the boiling water. You are looking for the egg yolks to lighten in color and get thick.

Remove eggs from heat and slowly pour in a small amount of butter while you continue to whisk vigorously.  Continue to add butter and build the sauce.  Do not stop whisking for any length of time this sauce is very delicate and can separate easily. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with lemon juice, hot sauce and a small amount of Worcestershire.  Serve a la minute (as in that red hot second) and enjoy.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment