Thursday, April 11, 2013

gym time

gym time

As a child I was always a dancer, I loved any type of dance class.  I smiled and tapped my way through some great exercise. 

As an adult I needed to continue with exercise and dances classes weren't readily available.  Going to the gym felt foreign.  I honestly had no idea where to start or what to do.  I started with group classes, which are fun, but for me didn't force enough of a calorie burn to make a difference in my weight and physical appearance.  I then moved to the cardio machines. 

Cardio is great, you run, you climb stairs, you sweat...two problems with doing just cardio.  The first was I started to feel like I was on a hamster wheel.  I needed to vary the workouts.  The second is I was missing getting some tone and definition.  I wanted to be someone you looked at and said "wow she must work out."

making the gym a joy

Two problems, meant finding two solutions. 

One, to get away from the monotony I do a few things.  I workout on different machines, and only 2 days a week for 30 minutes or less. While on the stairmaster I have a special DANCE play list I listen to.  That way I can bop and bounce a little without interfering with my form in a way that I cannot do while on an elliptical or a treadmill. Oh did I mention I allow myself to be a little silly?  I found I have way more fun if I don't take myself so seriously.  I also let myself take a "just for fun" dance/aerobics class, where I can feel the joy I experienced as a kid of learning steps and dancing just for me to music.

Two, I gave myself a challenge. I hold myself to a hirer standard than any trainer could hold me to. Which is why I NEVER let myself down.  I pick a 12 week work out cycle and commit to it for 12 weeks.  No missed workouts, 5 days a week for 12 weeks.  The first week is tough, but to get myself through I mark the moment, so I can remember in a few weeks time how difficult is was and notice how much I have improved.

There are a lot of great sites to look at when picking a weight workout, my favorite is

www.bodybuilding.com

You tell it exactly who you are and what you are looking to do and it gives you the recipe!!!  Are we shocked the cook loves a recipe?

Get the workout, and then get a little silly.





No comments:

Post a Comment