Tuesday, April 30, 2013

something from nothing

something from nothing

I've never been the type of cook that can walk into an empty kitchen and create something from nothing.  I completely admire those types of cooks.  However I have a sneaky solution to that.  About once a week I make what's called a big salad.

I generally keep lettuce on hand, and use "the big salad" as a vehicle use up all of the extra fruit/veges I have.  In the world of the big salad anything goes.  You can do savory or sweet or better still a mix of both.

Lettuce-use romaine and a mixed baby spinach or the like
Olives-I like black and green, whatever you have on hand will work
Protein-chicken breast (warm or cold), turkey, hard boiled eggs or some of everything
Cheese- Goat cheese, shredded cheese, yellow or white cheddar.  I like to pick one, typically if I can going with a sweet salad I choose goat cheese, a more savory salad I go with some type of cheddar
Fruit- apples and pears add nice depth of flavor
Carrots and cucumber - one or both add great crunch
Avocado

Dressing- super secret healthy recipe ( you can sub lemon juice for rice vinegar)
1 part olive oil
1 part rice vinegar
2-3 garlic cloves through a micro plane
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Easy dressing
1 part Balsamic syrup
1 part Olive oil
Salt
Pepper




No comments:

Post a Comment