Wednesday, April 3, 2013

the second alter ego

my second alter is workout warrior

Workout warrior is a highly competitive, lean mean machine.  TWW will be providing delicious good for you food.  I personally follow an adapted version of the paleo diet.  The paleo diet says no processed food, no "bad" carbs (i.e. bread, pasta and rice) and little to no dairy and a lot of protein.  I of course allow a cheat days (see posts by TFG) but generally eat clean food 6 of 7 days a week. As a kid I never liked Brussels sprouts.  Recently while out with friends, they ordered "to die for" Brussels sprouts at a restaurant and I was straight bullied into trying some. They were phenomenal.  I left the restaurant thinking, well clearly I could do this even better, (don't forget the workout warrior is highly competitive).

Brussels Sprouts (my go to "comfort food")

Quarter cut 6-8 large fresh Brussels sprouts
Finely chop 2-3 cloves of garlic
Chop 1/2 of one yellow onion, or 1 full shallot.

In a large skillet heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, my grandma says you know its ready when it looks angry, you should see it slightly separate and if you hold you hand over the skillet you should feel warmth.  Add chopped onions and garlic to the oil along with salt and pepper to taste.  Note: I ALWAYS use kosher salt, I think it has much better flavor than table salt.  Let the garlic and onion cook until they are soft, and you can see through them.  If the pan is looking dry add a bit more olive oil before you add the Brussels sprouts.  Once you have added the Brussels sprouts cover and let simmer.  You are looking for them to get a little toasted, and browned.  Stir occasionally until they start to get soft.  At this point add an 1/8 of a cup of white wine for flavor and let the wine cook out.  Once the wine has evaporated all you will be left with is deep flavor.  Serve warm in a bowl and top with a small amount of fresh grated parmesan to taste.

You can also top with a sunny side up egg and/or add turkey bacon if you feel you need more protein.

https://twitter.com/LilShackofSugar

No comments:

Post a Comment