Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ordering out

ordering out

Eating out is one of my favorite things to do, even though I love to cook.  Eating out allows me to enjoy different styles of food, keep current on different flavor pairings and gives me ideas for me own new dishes. 

While trying to eat healthfully eating out can be a challenge.  Even low fat or "skinny" menus can be deceiving, some items containing 500 calories (that's about half of what I eat in a whole day).  So here are a few of The Workout Warriors tricks.

Do not fill up on chips, bread or whatever they serve while you are waiting for your food.  If you absolutely must eat some, set aside a small portion and eat only that.  It's very easy to lose track of how much you are consuming if you just idly pick at the chips and salsa.

I prefer to order items sans bread.  If you want a burger order it protein style.  If you want a sandwich hold the bread...you get the idea.

A typical restaurant will serve you 2x the amount of food you actually should have in a portion.  So cut your plate in half, eat one side and pack up the other to go home.

Don't drink your calories.  Choose iced tea, coffee or water as you beverage.  Everything else is just an endless refill of calories and sugar.

Get an appetizer!  My favorite dinners are usually made up of tapas or small bites.  Order a roasted artichoke and a salad.  Or chicken satay and a veggie.  You will be surprised at how satisfying this can be.

Order up!

No comments:

Post a Comment