Tuesday, May 21, 2013

avocados

avocados

I love avocados.  When I was a kid my family would make a whole meal out of avocados filled with baby shrimp and topped with a light dressing, it was an amazing little summer salad, or easy appetizer.  I love to have fresh avocados with eggs for breakfast. 

One of my most favorite tricks is to make tuna salad and replace the mayo with avocado.  Now as an avid mayo lover I would have never bought in to this trick until I tried it, but its fantastic.  You do not miss the mayo AT ALL!

I think that when most people think of avocados their minds go straight to guacamole.  Traditional guac is great...but while traveling a few years ago I stumbled upon a great TexMex version of guacamole.

2 avocados mashed
2-3 roasted cloves of garlic (use olive oil in a sauté pan, heat, add cloves of garlic and brown on both sides, do not burn, press through a garlic press while still warm)
Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste
Add 2-3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2-3 dashes of hot sauce
One large spoonful of fresh salsa
Lime zest
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Stir together and enjoy with veges, cucumber or chips

No comments:

Post a Comment